Friday, January 2, 2009

Aspen Stand Watercolor

I'm working on a full sheet watercolor of a stand of aspens. I took this photograph last October. It was early evening and very overcast which is why the light is so flat, but I like the subdued, peaceful look and was inspired to paint it. Below the photograph is the beginning painting. I like the composition but am at an impasse in terms of how I want to bring the color forward. The background has been painted with a beautiful Daniel Smith watercolor called moonglow. It is a dark grayish purple color that has a lovely granular look when it dries. I used new gamboge for the yellow because it is so vibrant. I would like to try to work in some lavender, maybe in the grass and tree trunks. I'll keep you posted as the painting progresses; right now it's time to paint.





2 comments:

Bobowersox said...

I think the yellow background was painted after the darkness at the top. How far down did you paint the darkness?

Organizen said...

That is so cool Karen!