Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Knitting and Beans

I have been trying to keep my knitting projects small in light of the fact that I have two half done afghans that need to be completed. Above is a scarf that I hoped to have done for my daughter for Christmas. Now I'm shooting for before spring. I love the bright colors in this yarn. I wanted the scarf to be on the chunky side so I am knitting with two strands held together using the garter stitch. Previously I had only knit scarves using LionBrand homespun yarn which is so bulky it takes no time at all to knit up a great scarf, especially if you are using big needles. This is a less bulky yarn so the knitting process has been much longer. I'm going to add fringe and maybe look around for some sort of mother of pearlish looking sequins to sew on. Below is a scarf I am working on for myself. You can click on these images to get a better view. This yarn has pretty gray and cream tones in it and is super soft. I thought it would feel good wrapped around my head and neck, which is how I prefer to wear scarves much to my family's embarrassment, especially on days like today when the wind is scourging the mountains at gusts of up to 75 mph. There is nothing more aggravating to me than wearing something itchy around my neck.

The innocent looking legumes up there have been my nemesis for the last couple of days. Driven by the prospect of having the smell of good food bubbling on the stove all day I decided to try my hand at making my own refried beans. I roasted bulbs of garlic, soaked the pinto beans, bought a fresh bay leaf at the supermarket, and stood at the stove adding hot water as it boiled down. After a full day and the beans weren't done, I put them away for the night and then the next morning poured it all into the crockpot so I wouldn't be tied to the stove for another day. Every time I passed the pantry and saw cans of refried beans I would wonder why am I doing this? Long story short, apparently I had added too much water so I gave up on the idea of refried beans, and my husband threw in chunks of the leftover Christmas ham we had thawed out for sandwiches. This new and improved mixture we stored away again last night, and finally will be having ham and pinto bean soup for dinner tonight. As they say in Spain, "no vale la pena", which means making my own refried beans was not worth the trouble.




1 comment:

PJ said...

Isn't it a Wonderful Life?