Saturday, January 3, 2009

The World is My Oyster



Oysters are a revered food at our house. I am still basking in the culinary afterglow of our new year's day oyster pie. Years ago I worked at the restaurant Harpoon Louie's in Collegeville, Pennsylvania. Their specialty was an oyster pie which I had never heard of before I worked there. Man, was that good. I googled a recipe and after sorting through a bunch found the one that seemed most like I remembered. It is the recipe of the Waterman House & Gardens in Rockland, Maine and can be found at About.com where I got it. The recipe calls for a single pie crust baked over the filling which is placed in a 2 quart dish. I felt like my 2 quart pyrex baking dish wasn't dignified enough for the pie so I searched and found the deep pie dish by Emile Henry pictured here at the local kitchen store. I altered the recipe in one way and that was by using a bottom crust as well as a top. I am a big fan of pie crust. I bake the bottom crust first, then add the cooked filling and bake with the top crust. This is a really delicious meal. We ate all but one piece, which was still delicious the next day when we divvied it up as an appetizer before dinner. It will be hard to wait another year to have this again.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Karen! Your blog looks wonderful and I can't wait to see what is to come:) How about the recipe for that pie?!!

PJ said...

You are not only a "skilled artist" but a "skilled cook"! I'm with Lindsay, I want your recipe!